Wednesday, May 4, 2011

the view from where I am. . . walking

Mainly I watched the rest of the extended version of The Two Towers today, but I also took a short walk down the street and up the hill. I came upon Yoshida Shrine, which if I understood the sign rightly was built in 1601.


Actually colored this after I came back with my somewhat random selection of Prismacolors (I have a ton of them, but I only brought ~1/3 of all I own.)

A roof detail from the shelter over the basins to cleanse your hands before you enter the shrine.

Coming back down the stairs that led to this and several other shrines.

And finally, for Mary Beth. Upon closer inspection, it appears that this sign is actually instructing bicycle riders not to park their bikes in this spot, but it does rather look like it says "no bicycle-chasing pigs allowed" or similar.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting sign! I think the bike belongs to the pig in this scenario. It literally says "Stealing bikes is Taboo" on the top and then "Which are you?" and on the left it says "Cost of a double lock: 1060 yen" and the right "Cost of a new bike: 10000 yen". They're just encouraging people to use multiple locks to discourage bike nabbers.

    I would like to know why they chose the pig, though.

    ReplyDelete